Fall is always a good time to invest a few hours in a little home maintenance. This helps you to be sure your home is running smoothly. It also lets you catch any potentially large (and expensive) problems before they get out of hand. Below is a checklist you can complete before winter.
Let me know if you’d like a FREE copy of
our personal vendor list for any items
you would like to have done for you!
Call 303-204-6494 or email me.
• Check ceiling and surfaces around windows for evidence of moisture.
• Check caulking around showers, bathtubs, sinks and toilet bases.
• Ensure all stairs and railings do not have any loose sections.
• Test all fire and safety systems, including carbon monoxide detectors.
Heating and Cooling
• Clean or change furnace filters.
• Keep area around heating and cooling equipment clear.
• For boiler systems, check water level and shut-off valve for leaks.
• Test circuit breakers every six months and ground fault circuit interrupters monthly.
Doors and Windows
• Check weatherstripping.
• Check for broken glass and damaged or missing screens.
• Check all faucets, hose bibs and supply valves for leaking.
• Check for evidence of leaks around and under sinks, showers, toilets and tubs.
• Inspect lawn sprinkler system for leaky valves and exposed lines and then winterize.
• Check the main water shut-off valve for operation and leakage.
• Clean gutters, strainers and downspouts.
• Trim back all tree limbs and vegetation away from the roof.
Foundation and Exterior
• Verify basement and crawlspace has no moisture or leaks.
• Inspect all decks, patios, porches, stairs and railings for deterioration.
• Cut back and trim all vegetation from structures.